Friday, May 10, 2013

Gibby’s Garden Diary Entry #3: Swiss Chard: What is It and Why Grow It?


May 9, 2013

When it comes to my vegetable garden, I like to try something new each season, whether it’s a different variety or new vegetable all together. This year, my newbie of choice is Swiss chard which I’ve never, ever grown before. Why is it my choice?

Swiss chard is a great alternative to spinach, which I never can seem to grow or freeze enough of for the long winter months here in Maine. This goosefoot family vegetable can be continually harvested over a long period of time and is entirely edible.

The leafy greens can be snipped over the season and added to salads, dishes or steamed as a mildly sweet side and the celery-like stalks can be harvested at the end of the growing season as well. Swiss chard comes in a handful of varieties and can be grown as an edible or ornamental.

My Swiss chard variety of choice? “Bright Lights” which will add a splash of color to my garden. Bright Lights grows colorful stalks of pink, red, yellow and orange topped with green leaves which are ready to be harvested in about 55 days.

Information on Growing Swiss Chard in the North


Best Varieties of Swiss Chard to Grow in the North
How to Grow Swiss Chard in the North

View Previous Garden Diary Entry
All Gibby's Garden Diary Posts

No comments:

Post a Comment