Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Zucchini Pickle Recipe

Image: Simon Speed via Wikimedia Commons

Do you find yourself swimming in a sea of zucchini? I know I did the first year I grew it. I had so much zucchini I didn’t know what to do with it until I stumbled upon a recipe for zucchini pickles. While I don’t usually care for zucchini, the only time I’ve liked it was in my grandmother’s zucchini bread, I can say I do like these zucchini pickles. They are crunchy and great eaten alone or in a sandwich.

Zucchini Pickle Quick Facts


Prep Time: 25 Minutes
Marinating Time: 4 Hours
Makes: 1 Quart Zucchini Pickles

Ingredients for Zucchini Pickles


  • 1 Pound Zucchini (about 2 medium-sized)
  • 1 Medium Onion
  • 3 Cups Water
  • 2 Tablespoons Salt (pickling or kosher)
  • 1 Cup Sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon Mustard Seeds
  • ½ Teaspoon Celery Salt
  • ½ Teaspoon Turmeric
  • 1 ½ Cups Cider Vinegar

Supplies for Zucchini Pickle Recipe


  • Paper Towels
  • Cutting Board
  • Utility Knife
  • Mixing Bowl
  • Measuring Cups
  • Measuring Spoons
  • Wooden Spoons
  • Strainer
  • Saucepan
  • Pot Holders
  • 1 – Quart Jar w/ Sealable Lid

Steps for Making Zucchini Pickles

  1. Rinse zucchini and slice thinly discarding the ends. Place slices in mixing bowl.
  2. Halve the onion and then cut into thin slices. Place slices in mixing bowl.
  3. Add water and salt to mixing bowl and stir. Let sit for 2 hours.
  4. Strain zucchini and onion mixture. Return to mixing bowl.
  5. Place sugar, mustard seeds, turmeric, celery salt & vinegar in sauce pan. Stir to mix. Bring to a boil over medium heat. When mix comes to a boil, pour over zucchini and onions. Let stand for 2 hours.
  6. Pour content of mixing bowl into sauce pan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Ladle zucchini pickles into quart jar. Pour hot pickling liquid into jar leaving ¼” of headspace.
  7. Remove air bubbles and seal jar with lid. Refrigerate after opening.



Recipe Credit: Coyle, Rena. My First Cookbook. New York: Workman Pub., 1985. Print.

I always give credit where credit is due. This recipe is not my own, you probably deciphered that after seeing the credit. My mother has had My First Cookbook since I was a kid. I remember leafing through it to see what I could make on snow days. I loved it as a kid; it’s full of great recipes and it’s one I’d recommend for your kids. Happy cooking!


No comments:

Post a Comment