Monday, May 14, 2012

What’s Growing In Gibby’s Garden this Year?


I thought I’d share with you what I’ll be growing in my organic vegetable garden this year. I’m trying a few new vegetables and varieties and, as I write this, I desperately wish I was outside planting right now.

My Staple Vegetables  


I call this list my staple vegetables because I grow them every year. They are some of my favorites as well as my family’s. When it comes to my staples, I usually plant the same varieties each year for specific reasons. While I enjoy them fresh, I also preserve and freeze many of my vegetables.

  • Cucumbers: Hybrid Miss Pickler (Fresh/Pickle)
  • Carrots: Rainbow Mix (Fresh/Freeze)
  • Radishes: Black Spanish Round (Fresh)
  • Beans: Purple Pod/Imp. Golden Wax/Orient Wonder (Fresh/Freeze)
  • Peas: Maestro (Fresh/Freeze)
  • Corn: Hybrid Northern Xtra-Sweet Bicolor/Japanese White Hull-less (Fresh/Freeze)
  • Onions: White/Red: (Fresh/Store)


This year I’m trying a few new varieties such as Black Spanish Round radishes, Orient Wonder beans (yard-long), and Japanese White Hull-less corn (popcorn). I’ll be growing my staples from seed with the exception of the onions.

List of Transplants

                       
If I had the time and space I’d grow just about every vegetable to my liking. Unfortunately this isn’t feasible. I don’t always grow the same vegetables every year. One year I may grow broccoli and no cauliflower and vice versa the next year. I’ll be turning to transplants for these vegetables this year.

  • Broccoli
  • Potatoes
  • Watermelon
  • Pumpkins
  • Peppers
  • Tomatoes
  • Lettuce


List of Extras


Some of the vegetables in this list I’ll be growing for the first time like leeks and kohlrabi. Much like the transplants listed above, I don’t always grow the same “extras” every year.

  • Leeks: American Flag
  • Kohlrabi: Early White Vienna
  • Spinach: Hybrid Regal
  • Beets: Perfected Detroit
  • Winter Squash: Hyb. Argonaut
  • Summer Squash: Black Magic


So, what will you be growing in your organic vegetable garden this year?

Additional Reading



No comments:

Post a Comment